EAL SUPPORT TEAM PROVISION IN GREATER GEELONG AND SURROUNDS
English as an additional language (EAL) students are supported through a range of programs provided by the Department of Education and Training (DET). Newly arrived students from language backgrounds other than English who meet eligibility criteria are able to access English as an Additional Language (EAL) support through the New Arrivals Program (NAP) within the Victorian government education system. Further support for EAL students post the new arrivals stage and in mainstream settings is provided via additional EAL Index funding to primary and secondary schools who meet the threshold funding levels.
Where schools cannot access the NAP or do not meet the appropriate threshold level for funding, support is provided via a Support Team model of EAL provision.
Geelong English Language Centre (GELC) has now been expanded to include a Support Team model of EAL provision for Greater Geelong and surrounds.
A key focus of the Support teachers is to work with school leadership and to build teacher capacity, in order to support the ongoing English language and learning needs of EAL primary and secondary students who have been enrolled in an Australian school between 0-5years.
Support teachers will provide advice and guidance to assist school leadership to develop a school-based action plan which addresses the English language learning needs of the target cohort of EAL learners in their schools
This advice may include:
- classroom observation and feedback
- support with assessing EAL student learning needs and curriculum planning.
- coaching, demonstrations and classroom modelling of EAL strategies and approaches
- working with individual teachers or teams on EAL curriculum development, resourcing, undertaking initial English language assessments for newly arrived students and assisting teachers in their understanding and use of the EAL Continuum (P-10) for reporting and assessment.
- Supporting schools to develop appropriate policies and practices for engagement with EAL families
- Providing appropriate professional learning opportunities within schools
To access Support for schools with the target cohort of EAL learners please contact:
The GELC coordinator
Phone: 52 783 548
Mob: 0419 870 439
Process for Schools
When a school identifies that they have an EAL Indexed funded student for whom the classroom teacher/s require further assistance with providing an appropriate program, they should take the following steps.
1. Contact the Geelong English Language Centre Coordinator on 5278 3548 or via email. Provide:
- Date of first enrolment in an Australian school.
- Visa number (if applicable)
- Evidence of LBOTE eg Cases 21034 printout
2. GELC Support Team teacher will contact the appropriate school liaison person ie literacy coordinator, Assistant Principal etc to organize a suitable time to meet with leadership teams.
3. GELC Support Team and leadership team will develop an action plan to assist school and teacher/s to provide an appropriate program to meet the needs of the student and develop teacher EAL skills.